Stella’s put some serious mileage on the clock this summer..

A few weeks ago I went to Belgium and Amsterdam to see some friends..
Unfortunately it wasn’t without a hassle.. The day before I left I was driving towards a shop when all of a sudden Stella was acting weird.. when I turned of the music I could hear a loud rattling noise from the back so I quickly got out and noticed I ran flat on one side.. Luckily there was a very friendly chap who came over and asked me if I needed any help with finding a tyreshop.. A few minutes later I was in his car and another 15 mins later we found a place that had the right tyre size on the shelve.. but f*ck me these were expensive!!! Because of the heavy camber on the rear I took no risk and replaced the other side as well and Stella is now sporting some proper expensive TOYO tyres πŸ™‚
The next day whilst driving on the M25 towards Dover my front screen exploded?!! Just like that with no warning or whatsoever .. BANG! The driver side glass had a million cracks.. Luckily I aimed for an earlier boat so I had time to do a little detour to B&Q for some perspex.. Because I kept driving, the wind kept pushing on the glass which then started to throw little chips off.. I had to pullover as I was covered in glass and a hole in the window made it rather dangerous..

 

 

 

 

So I then tried to get the glass out but because it was so brittle there was no way I was going to get it out properly.. I then came up with the brilliant idea .. Not (LOL) to use a pillow and push it all out..

Luckily most of the glass fell out of the bus but anyone who’s had a similar thing happened knows that it goes everywhere .. and when I say every where it’s all over the place.. Even now ( a few weeks later) I still find little pieces of glass on the cab mat..

 

 

 

 

 

 

Luckily B&Q sell’s perspex in various sizes and with the help of a stanley knife and some white duck tape I managed to do a quick but efficient repair.

I made the boat in time and once landed on the mainland I cruised a little further in the night until I was ready for bed..
After a short but deep sleep I got woken up by a bright blue sky πŸ™‚ Time to open the doors and get the kettle on! Having a fully kitted out campervan makes a huge difference on mornings like these.. Β It’s all there, working and ready to enjoy.. HMmm coffee!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Good times as usual at Bigone beach. Being treated like a king by Dennis and Annelien.. Thanks again guys!!

Went to see a friend in Amsterdam and oh man did we have a great time there πŸ™‚

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I’d been to Amsterdam a few times before but mostly visited the usual suspects πŸ˜‰ and never went to explore the city. What a great city to live in, it’s nearly as cool as Antwerp πŸ˜›

 

 

 

 

After catching up with friends it was time to cruise back to the UK..

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A late night boat meant sleeping in Dover and breakfast with a view !! πŸ™‚

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Once back the first job on the list was to sort out the safari window.
I drove down to Chris’s place and when I explained the window story he responded.. “hold on!, I’ve got one of those original safari windows .. I only got 1 and the frame is shot so you can have it”! Well that sure made my day!!

I couldn’t wait and started straight away. Those of you that have a classic (VW) car know that no job goes straight forward and only minutes after I started I ran into a small problem. My original safari’s had been repainted several times and I don’t think anyone has ever made the effort in taking them apart hence why the little screws on the side were covered in paint. Despite trying to remove all the paint and soak them in WD40 they didn’t gave a kick..
So then I called the help of Mr. welder πŸ™‚

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The method is simple, first make a few good tack welds on the head of the screw and then you put a little nut over it and weld it to the tack welds. I pored water over it to cool it rapidly so the connection (read as rust) between the screw and thread would brake..

Then carefully unscrew the nut and job done! That’s if all goes well! I was unfortunate that some screw’s broke halfway, fortunately I still managed to get the other half out by repeating the process on the other side.. (the frames were taken apart already)

The donor safari window! This came of another highroof which makes it a perfect replacement! It took quite some determination to get it see through again πŸ˜€

As I ran out of time, I didn’t replace the window straight away but instead treated the inside bottom with POR 15 and left it to dry..

It’s fixed now with a new seal! Thanks again Chris!!!

 

Happy days !

 

Advertisements
Categories: Blog | Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

Post navigation

Comments are closed.

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.

%d bloggers like this: